Friday, June 25, 2010

Guffey, Colorado

Recently I drove south through Hartsel (which I’ll cover in another post) to the small town of Guffey. Although I had been near the town before, on Colorado Hwy 9, I had never actually turned to visit the town.
Guffey is located in the basin, or caldera, left by a volcano which “blew its top” millennia ago. It is a beautiful area, surrounded by forest and ranches.



The town is located on Freshwater Creek, and in fact was once called Freshwater, a name retained by the Freshwater Saloon, one of three eating places. The others are Rita’s Place (a coffee shop and gallery) and the Bull Moose (formerly Peaceful Henry’s and just recently renovated and reopened). Only Rita’s was open the day I happened to be visiting, and it was a pleasant and attractive place with good coffee and pastries, and with sandwiches also on the menu.

Rita's Place:


Freshwater Saloon:


Coming home I decided to drive east a while before heading north on county road 59, which took me past 11 Mile and Spinney Reservoirs and a number of ranches with interesting names. Although most are cattle ranches, one, Jabberwocky, has goats, and a couple of others have herds of llamas. In addition there are ranchers in the area who raise bison (American buffalo).

Llamas!



Headed back west to pick up Hwy 9, I came to the Chapparal Park General Store, which has the largest selection of fishing gear and lures in the area – not surprising considering that people come from all over the world to fish the two reservoirs and the river between them. They also have campsites and lodging, and sell sandwiches and other packaged foods.

Chaparral Park General Store:


Almost back to Hartsel, I discovered the Hartsel Springs Lodge – a new enterprise with a large lodge and a number of cabins.





One of these days I'll go back and check out the Bull Moose, now that it is open!

No comments:

Post a Comment